School of Public Health and Community Medicine


General Information

Further details concerning programs and courses are available in the UNSW Online Handbook.

myUNSW is the central point for administration and information services for UNSW students online. Current students can use myUNSW to look at their enrolment and fees details, results, and full academic record. To obtain access 24 hours a day, 7 days a week you must be a currently enrolled student and know your Student ID and your zPass.

Please note that the following programs are eligible for Student Payments (Youth Allowance, Austudy or Pensioner Education Supplement) as per the Department of Social Services website.

  • 9045 Master of Public Health
  • 9048 Master of International Public Health
  • 8901 Master of Health Management

At this stage no other programs (even dual degree programs which include the above degrees) in the School are eligible for student payments.

Program Information

Internal (Face-to-face)
Internal courses are conducted on campus with face-to-face classes held over 12 weeks. For some internal courses students are expected to attend a compulsory workshop component held in the Residential School (generally held one week before each semester starts on campus). Check the timetable to see if your course has a compulsory workshop. Many internal courses also include an online learning component.

External (Distance)
External courses are offered by distance mode using a combination of compulsory workshops and online teaching. Workshops are held in the Residential School (generally held one week before each semester starts on campus). Workshops are followed by a 12 week semester of self study with follow up assignment material. Courses usually include an online learning component.

A number of our courses have an intensive workshop component held during a Residential School on the Kensington Campus in Sydney. It is usually compulsory for students to attend these workshops. Residential Schools are generally held one week before the beginning of each semester in late February and mid July. In addition to Semester 1 and Semester 2 workshops, there are a number of workshops offered during the Summer Term in mid November / early December. Please make sure that you check your course timetable to see which days you are required to attend.

Most of the workshops are essential for distance students. In some instances internal students will also be required to attend compulsory workshops during the Residential School. In this case, it will be noted on the timetable.

Students are expected to make their own travel and accommodation arrangements to attend the Residential School. For a listing of accommodation situated close to the university please check the UNSW Accommodation website which lists a range of temporary accommodation options.

The census date each semester is the last date to discontinue a course without academic penalty and without financial liability for fees/HECS-Help. The census dates are usually:

31 March - courses offered in Semester 1
31 August - courses offered in Semester 2
mid-December - courses offered in Summer Term

Please check UNSW Key Dates for updated details on deadlines regarding enrolment, discontinuation and census dates.

You may still discontinue courses after the census date and until the Withdrawal without Failure date without academic penalty. However you are still held liable for fees/ HECS-Help liability for the course. The Withdrawal without Failure date is usually the end of Week 6 for Semester 1 and Semester 2 teaching periods, and the census date for other teaching periods.

If your request for withdrawal from one or more courses is the result of exceptional circumstances you may be eligible to apply for reimbursement of charges for the course. In addition, if exceptional circumstances prevent you from completing a course, and the Withdrawal without Failure date has passed then you may choose to apply for late withdrawal from a course. In both cases you must demonstrate that you were prevented from completing a course by circumstances beyond your control, which extended over a significant period of time. Instructions and forms to submit a Special Permission to Withdrawal without Penalty are available on the myUNSW Student Forms page.

If you intend to take leave for one or two semesters, you must complete the Program Leave request online through myUNSW before the census date for each semester i.e. Semester 1 - 31 March, Semester 2 - 31 August.  Program leave may be granted to enrolled domestic  Postgraduate students wishing to discontinue their current enrolment with the intention of resuming their studies at a later date. Leave is generally restricted to no more than two semesters over the duration of a student's enrolment in a Program. Applications for leave in excess of two semesters will be approved only in exceptional circumstances at the discretion of the Program Authority. Program leave is not usually available to International students. Please be aware that if you do not enrol and do not officially request leave from your studies then your enrolment will lapse at the census date and you will not be able to enrol in the following semester.

If you want to undertake study at another Institution whilst on program leave from UNSW, you must obtain permission from your Program Authority to undertake cross institutional study, BEFORE you commence your studies at another Institution.

Check the information on obtaining credit transfer for courses undertaken at other institutions. Please contact us if you think you may be eligible.

Sometimes you may wish to study an area which is not included in our list of electives. Providing we have a staff member who is experienced in this area, you may undertake an independent study. Alternatively, you may choose to enrol for a course at another institution. Approval is required for Independent Studies and cross-institutional enrolment. For further details see Independent Studies and Cross-Institutional Enrolment.


Students can apply to enrol in individual courses at another institution, and request credit towards their degree program at SPHCM. This is called cross-institutional study.

Please note the following:

  • Applications for cross-institutional study will NOT be approved for courses that are offered at SPHCM or significantly overlap the content of existing SPHCM courses.
  • Courses that are not offered at SPHCM will be considered on a case by case basis.
  • Courses will only be approved if they are the equivalent of a 6 unit of credit course at UNSW.
  • Applications for cross-institutional study for more than 1 course will only be approved in exceptional circumstances.
  • A final decision about whether to approve courses for cross-institutional study is at the discretion of the Program Director.
2. To enrol in a course at another institution you will need to contact the relevant institution for information about their course offerings, cross-institutional application procedures, deadlines, fees and also obtain approval from the relevant academic department.
3. Approval from SPHCM is also required. To request approval, please provide a detailed course outline including the credit value of the course, an outline of the assessment required, contact hours and details about the degree program in which the course is offered. Please attach this information to the Cross Institutional Study Application form and forward this to This will then be forwarded to the relevant program director for assessment.
4. You will be advised regarding the outcome of your application once your request has been assessed.
5. On completion of your cross-institutional study, it is your responsibility to provide a copy of your result notice/academic transcript to so that the credit can be added on your academic record at UNSW. Please remember to do this as this may affect your graduation status if you are towards the end of your degree.  If you are posting a hard copy transcript – the address is Student Services, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, UNSW, NSW 2052.
6. Please be aware that you will be liable for tuition fees at the other institution at the same rate that you are charged at UNSW. For example if you are a CSP student at UNSW you would be charged the equivalent CSP rate at the other university.
7. Further information can be found on the Cross Institutional Study web page.


This type of enrolment is called Non Award Voluntary course enrolment. This means applying to enrol in individual courses without applying for a whole degree. A Non Award course enrolment is where the student is taking the course either out of interest, or to develop professional competence in an area of specialisation. Non award enrolment does not lead to or count towards a formal award (e.g. degree or diploma) of the University of New South Wales.  For more details and to download an application form see UNSW Non Award and Cross Institutional Enrolment page.

The School offers a number of intensive workshops during the Summer Term which can be taken either as Non Award courses or as part of a postgraduate degree. These workshops range from 3 - 5 days.  For more details and to enrol in a workshop visit the Summer School page.

You can request a letter confirming your enrolment or completion status online which can be used for a range of purposes including submission to your employer, Centrelink, Jury Duty. Simply log on to myUNSW and go to My Student Profile tab. Follow the instructions to request the letter that you require.  For further information see Standard Letters.


All new students should refer to the Getting Started website for key information regarding accepting your offer, enrolment and other important information. The School also sends information to new and re-enrolling students prior to the commencement of each academic semester. This includes details about course offerings, course packs and also key details about enrolment, deadlines and payment of fees.

Details about enrolment are usually sent in November / December to students commencing in Semester 1 each year and in April / May to students commencing in Semester 2 each year. This includes information about course offerings and also details about how to enrol. This information is also posted online on the SPHCM Postgraduate Coursework Enrolment page. Important information about online services, guidelines and procedures is also available at myUNSW - Guide to UNSW Services and Resources.

Information about re-enrolment, timetables and key dates is emailed to continuing students prior to the commencement of enrolment . All students are required to enrol online via myUNSW. Further information can be found on the Enrolment website. Information is also available online on the SPHCM Postgraduate Coursework Enrolment page.

Students should refer to the Course Offerings website to see when courses are usually offered. The Timetables website will tell students accurate timetable information each semester.

Students must enrol in courses that meet their program requirements. We advise students to complete the core courses before undertaking electives. However, if you have a strong interest in particular electives which, for example, may be of immediate use in your current job, you can enrol in them earlier. When selecting your electives, you may choose those relevant to your current work, or in areas where you intend to focus in the future. Timetabling of courses varies due to staff availability and student demand. Please check the timetable website to see which semester courses are being offered.  

A standard full-time load is four courses per semester (24 units of credit).  As a general rule, external students are advised to take no more than two courses per semester. Internal students who are also working full-time are advised to take no more than two courses. If you do find that you have over-enrolled, please contact us prior to the Census Date (31 March for Semester 1 and 31 August for Semester 2) so that we can withdraw you from courses without penalty.

Once you have enrolled you can add courses to your enrolment online until the end of Week 1 of each semester via myUNSW. You can drop courses from your enrolment until the census date (31 March for Semester 1 and 31 August for Semester 2) without financial or academic penalty. Students can withdraw without academic penalty after the Census Date but will still be liable for tuition fees. Further information can be found on the Fee Remission (Special Circumstances) website.

Log in to myUNSW, click the Academic Statement link displayed under 'Services for Students' on the 'My Student Profile Tab' to view your academic statement. This lists current and previous courses and available results.


Results are emailed to your zMail account after examinations have finished for each semester - Semester 1: July; Semester 2: December; Summer Term: February. Official release dates for results are listed on the myUNSW Key Dates page (Exams & Results calendar). For more information see myUNSW Results.

Fines or outstanding fees owed to the University will result in withheld results and inability to enrol in the following semester. For more details see Outstanding Debt to the University.

The first person to speak to is the person who marked your assessment. If you wish to take the matter further, the marker will refer the matter to the course convenor. If the matter is still not resolved to your satisfaction, then the Program Director or Associate Dean of Postgraduate Coursework coordinator and finally the Head of School can be consulted. For further details see myUNSW Results.